MHA Monday Report Oct. 8, 2018
Posted on October 08, 2018
The Michigan House Law and Justice Committee, chaired by Rep. Klint Kesto (R-Commerce Twp.), heard testimony Oct. 2 on House Bills 6203 and 6204, which would amend the Michigan Penal Code to provide additional protections for health professionals ...
In August, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released a final rule to update the Medicare fee-for-service inpatient and long-term care hospital prospective payment system rates that took effect Oct. 1. On Oct. 3, the CMS issued a correction to the final rule ...
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently updated the 2017 Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) performance scores for some clinicians, based on issues that providers identified in their performance feedback data.
On behalf of the MHA and its member hospitals, a $30,000 lead gift was made to the Michigan Harvest Gathering (MHG) Oct. 2 as part of the MHG campaign kickoff media conference at Cristo Rey Community Center, Lansing.
In conjunction with the ongoing #MiCareMatters social media and digital awareness campaign, a private Facebook group, MiCare Champions, has been created for individuals to stay up-to-date on ongoing issues and legislative measures that affect healthcare in Michigan.
Distrust in the U.S. Health System: Are We Paying Attention?
“Gallup’s surveys about the public’s trust in our institutions since 1973 confirm their view: 11% of U.S. adults say they have ‘a great deal or quite a lot’ of trust in Congress, down from 45% four decades ago.
“In Gallup’s June 2018 survey, trust in the military and small business scored highest consistent with prior surveys. But of the 15 institutions, only one has seen its level of trust fall as precipitously as Congress: the medical system. Over the 40-year period, trust in Congress has fallen 34% and trust in our medical system has dropped 38%.”
Paul Keckley, Oct. 1, 2018
Upcoming events and important healthcare news for the week of Oct. 8:
- The Michigan Green Healthcare Conference will take place Tuesday and Wednesday at Grand Valley State University-Eberhard Center, Grand Rapids.
- The Great Lakes Partners for Patients Hospital Innovation Improvement Network High Reliability Organization monthly webinar, Reducing Sepsis Mortality, will take place from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesday.
- The MHA Behavioral Health Integration Task Force will meet from 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesday at the MHA Capitol Advocacy Center, Lansing.
- The MHA Health Foundation webinar “Perspective is Everything: Three Strategies to Create a Highly Reliable Patient Experience” will take place from 2 to 3 p.m. Thursday.
- Michigan’s gubernatorial contest is the subject of this week’s MHA Election 2018 Race of the Week installment.
Posted in: Monday Report