Posted on May 08, 2017
Job Title: Digital Press Operator
Reports To: Andy Snyder
FLSA Status: Non- Exempt
Assists in the production of printed materials for internal and external clients as well as identifying issues with problematic files.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect and inspect random samples during print runs to identify any image quality artifacts and makes necessary adjustments as needed. Start presses and pull proofs to check for toner coverage, density, alignment and registration.
- Verify that paper and bindery applications meet the specifications for a given job.
- Notify supervisor of equipment malfunctions and when necessary orchestrate onsite service from maintenance technicians.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining a series of process improvement initiatives to determine optimal workflow.
- Prioritize jobs in queue to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Recommend finishing solutions as well as stock to sales representative.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software as they relate to production workflow.
- Keep accurate service logs pertaining to equipment failure and errors in performance.
- Respond to equipment and program error messages by finding and correcting the problem.
- Enter, store and retrieve information on computer-aided equipment.
- Use computers to enter, position and at times alter files in preparation for print production.
- Size, crop, color correct and retouch images for print.
- Maintain, adjust, and keep equipment clean. Also perform repairs as needed.
- Keep customers informed of job status
- Solicit and resolve inquiries and complaints.
- Obtain approval of materials such as artwork, paper and proofs.
- Check inventory for supplies and media to complete orders.
- Pull and stage stock to fulfill incoming job tickets.
- Manage multiple projects through production.
- Communicate with coworkers to expedite the completion of any given job while upholding the client’s requirements and adhering to MHA’s standard of quality.
- Keep a clean and safe work area.
- Answer customer inquiries via phone and in person.
- Process mail and prepare shipments for UPS.
- Show an understanding of digital asset management (DAM) when required.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Project Management- Develops project plans; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
- Innovation- Displays original thinking and creativity.
- Time Management- Managing one’s own time.
- Analytical- Help develop work flows and procedures to obtain maximum efficiency.
- Initiative- Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Technical Skills- Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Teamwork- Gives and welcomes feedback; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Cost Consciousness- Works within approved budget; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Ethics- Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Planning/Organizing- Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives.
- Professionalism- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality Management- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Safety and Security- Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Dependability- Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Complex Problem Solving- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Problem Sensitivity- The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Comprehension- The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Visual Color Discrimination- The ability to match or detect differences between colors, including shades, brightness, and an understanding of color theory.
- Critical Thinking- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Attention to Detail- Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Adaptability/Flexibility- Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
Must be able to work without direct supervision and handle competing demands in a fast-paced work environment. Ability to work as a team is a must.
Education and/or Experience:
One year certificate from college, trade, vocational or technical school; or one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Proficient in both Mac and Windows operating systems. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, PitStop, Fusion Pro, Microsoft Office, EFI Fiery and Sun Java/Solaris.
iGEN150, Konica Minolta 1100, Meteor 8700S digital presses, C.P. Bourg booklet maker, Perfecta guillotine paper cutter, Morgana Autocreaser, Morgana Autofold Pro, Baum pile fed buckle folder, Coil binding and knowledge of laminating.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move in excess of 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of a Graphics/Prepress Specialist. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties as outlined.
While performing day to day duties, the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, grease and airborne particles that may cause discomfort. Noise, vibration and distractions are a moderate to frequent occurrence.
If this position is of interest to you, click the contact button below.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.