Posted on August 07, 2017
Job Title: Policy Coordinator
Reports To: Policy Manager
Location: Capitol Advocacy Center
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Administrative coordinator to the Policy Department and other Capitol Advocacy Center (CAC) staff. Principle functions include: schedule internal/external meetings, provide editing and proofreading services, create presentation materials and member specific correspondence, organize/maintain department files, and general administrative tasks. Assist Policy Department and other CAC staff with a wide range of projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Policy coordination responsibilities include:
- Draft, format, proofread and/or edit MHA presentations, reports, policy briefs and other communications
- Emailing, tracking, follow-up, data entry, running reports and assistance in coordinating internal, external and virtual meetings
- Maintain contact with hospital/health system staff to ensure accurate contact information and data reporting
- Utilize membership management software for member communication and other inquiries
- Assist with coordinating general office management, including equipment usage and maintenance, supplies and webinars.
- Serve as back-up for staff including reception desk coverage and distributing policy materials through MHA’s email alert system
General administrative duties include:
- Routinely develop correspondence for various activities (type, email, fax, mail, copy)
- Expedites the confidential, secure, and accurate delivery of messages, electronic messages, and documents
- Organize and maintain departmental electronic and paper files and other routine administrative functions
Experience and Qualifications:
- Associate’s Degree or higher preferred; (Health, Policy, Communication, Business, Accounting, Finance or related fields a plus). Required high school graduate or equivalent, with additional technical or specialized training in organizational skills.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience required to perform essential functions of position.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools: Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel are required. Ability to use online survey software and membership management software.
- Demonstrate high level of attention to detail. Excellent organizational, telephone, and written communication skills. Ability to work professionally with a wide variety of individuals, both internal to MHA and outside organizations, including senior-level administrators. Requires self-motivation.
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies/skills:
- Customer Service - Responds promptly to internal and external customer needs and requests for service and assistance.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards.
- Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands; is able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability - Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Office location is downtown Lansing. Physical demands include walking outdoors from the nearest parking lot (approximately 2-3 blocks), as well as the ability to work at a computer/workstation for the majority of an 8 hour day.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Professional office environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If this position is of interest to you, click the contact button below.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified. This position is in FLSA category "Non-Exempt". MHA has the right to revise this Position Description at any time. The Position Description is not a contract for employment and either the employee or the Company may terminate employment at any time for any reason.